Saturday, June 14, 2008

Water,water everywhere.........in SUMMER!!!




"You????Swimming???!!! lol !!"

"Hey don't be nuts! How can u learn to swim now?Its dangerous..."

"You are way too fat to learn swimming at this age!"

"U learning swimming now?why??"

"U cant do it..Its very difficult..."
These were a FEW of the negative reactions I had to listen to,when i mentioned to the people around me that i would be learning to swim this summer.Of course there were positive feedback's i got too...:)

Swimming was one art Ive dreamt of mastering from childhood...And now I had a chance(and company too..My brother!)...I knew I would become dark,thanks to the chlorine in the pool(This is a cause of worry for every girl :P)...But I considered that as a trivial issue...If I sat in the house for a week or so(and drank all kinds of weird juices my mom gives me),I would be back to my normal self...After lots of dilly-dallying,I finally decided I would learn to swim whatever be the case...I was more determined as i had competition in the form of my brother.It was an issue of prestige if my brother had learnt to swim before me!!

One day before I joined my swimming classes, I went shopping for my swimming costumes and accessories...I felt really shy to try out those outfits initally :P (surprisingly!hehe)..After wearing them, I realised I was looking slimmer than usual...(wow!)..I got a matching cap for the costume and goggles too...These things excited me all the more!! I was totally ready....

The day had arrived...I could hardly sleep that night...I was getting all nice dreams of me playing in the water,splashing water on everyone......With lots of excitement i wokeup,got ready and left...I went into the water excitedly...I had loads of fun(as in my dreams) until the coach had arrived...Then began our classes...we were asked to kick the water,move our arms around,learn to breathe underwater...Swimming was definitely not as easy as it seemed!!It needed lots of stamina and an atheletic body...!!

First day went on smoothly...It was the basics, one at a time.On the second day,we had to synchronise breathing,leg kicking and hand movement(herculean task!)..And I was surprised It didnt take me long to do it!!(learnt it on the same day I was taught)...I was way too happy and proud(The main reason being, my brother couldnt make it and I did!!!hehehe)...I was totally excited about getting into the pool the next day and to my disappointment,the pool was closed for maintainance...

The following day was such a disaster.I jumped into the pool as i did everyday..I started to swim and suddenly I start drowning..I failed to synchronise my movements...My brother was closeby and I tried to grab him for support...And this brother of mine!!!OMG!!He was busy with something..which,if i would mention here, would lead to my name being mentioned on a tombstone!!I had already gulped around 3 sips of the DIRTY water by then...I couldnt breathe...It was so tough to get out of the water...Finally I sensed a hand holding me...And thank god,I was safe!That helping hand was my brothers',he had finally realised what trouble I was in!After that incident,i totally lost my confidence..I started to develop hydrophobia...

This continued for two days..Meanwhile my brother had mastered the synchronisation and started to swim...I felt dejected...I thought when he can.why cant I?The coach took me to the 8-feet pool and pushed me into the water...I couldnt breathe again...He caught me and pushed me again...This time I could breathe...I did it!I overcame my fear of getting drowned...And i learnt swimming finally!! I was tooo happy :)

I started enjoying swimming...It was such a beautiful thing...Such a pleasure(after learning that is!)..When you get into the water and start floating,You forget all the materialistic things in the world...The best form of excercise...We had races in the pool...Total excitement!!I lost around 3kgs in just 15days!Ofcourse I had to sweat it out in the pool :) How not to lose hope,How to become more determined when people around you are not on your side,How exercise is an important part of your daily routine,How to overcome fears and How to make best use of your time everyday in summer holidays....I found answers to all these questions and most important of all...Ive learnt to SWIM !!!

And because of this "***@$$###" hurt of mine,Im sitting at home,doing nothing but recollecting all those memories...I miss swimming !!! :(

5 comments:

Suman said...

Congrats! U have mastered the art inspite of ppl discouraging u.Great determination! Keep it up.

Sabah said...

kool!!! u know how to swim...i always wanted to learn too!!!and 3 kgs in 15 days!!! i felt like drowning somewhere!!!lol

Unknown said...

congrats for losing weight[;)]...swimming is 2nd thing le.. become master and participate in competitions[:)]

Unknown said...

hey little choccy, first let me find out how u r now.
Suman .... he's the folk to show me this blog and ouch!! "Pain is such a pain!!!" -- u recovered ??
hmm.... cell phone model thelusukunnava inthaki.

Read all ur posts n they r really gud, keep up the spirit n flavor.
I thought ill call you after reading these but "Don't Disturb", this is what I was instructed.

Anyway ill call u sometime later when ur free..... n all the best.
Now ur blog is in my favorites !!
Cheers !

Priya said...

The only word i could think of was WOOOOOOW!!!! "RocKING blog"
Now I am a biiiig fan of your's...
U actually inspired me.. bcoz i give up many things listning to ppl's comments..[:)]
and gr8 work i must sayyy!!!
keep blogging or shud i say keep rocKING[;)]